Saturday, June 8, 2013

Spspspsps

At some point during English class in school they told us we should choose between either British English or American English (it makes sense not to write a text using both spellings). Since I am pretty sure that most of my English actually comes from American movies and TV series I went for American. So far everything has been great, but living in the UK makes this choice a bit of a challenge. I've had more than one misunderstanding where someone thought I was referring to their underwear when talking about their pants (or trousers as they prefer to call them). A line is a queue (I feel like there are a few more "ue"s missing in that word), cotton candy is candy floss, the toilet is the loo and their pens are biros. On top of all this, their spelling can be confusing as your colors are their colous and the center is a centre. After a while you cannot be sure about anything anymore,  but there is one word where I will stand my ground and that I refuse to use. Actually it's two, but they go together.


Their fries are chips.


So you might wonder what they call chips (as in the potato slices that you can eat from a bag)? Never will you see me calling them:


I refuse to use that word. What is wrong with chips? And for some reason my eye twitches with the "sps" sound. Chips, for the love of God, CHIPS!!!! 

1 comment:

  1. OMG so truuue (oder trueue wie es wahrscheinlich auf british english ist) es ist ein schreckliches Geräusch. Lo de pants si que es un problema... estos ingleses... Luego esta lo de "poteito" y "potato" y con tomato :P que ich hab im Englischunterricht aufgepass! (sisi, keiner glaubt die Irene)

    ReplyDelete