Tuesday, November 6, 2012

She said shì!


Apparently all my finger-crossing and my prayers have worked! I am going to witness an asian wedding! I heard many interesting and especially funny stories about chinese weddings from my collegues and was hoping to be able to witness one of these in person. Now a friend from Work who already got married one year ago in America is organizing a ceremony here in Singapore to celebrate it with their asian relatives. Since it is the "second" wedding it is not going to be anything huge and not as traditional as a normal wedding, but I bet it will still be different from occidental weddings! This is the pretty invitation card I got:


I am so excited! I have never been invited to a wedding before (only family weddings and there I never received a personal invitation!). Who would have guessed, that my first invitation would be in chinese? :D

The envelope is decorated with this chinese Symbol:


It stands four "Double happiness" or as I understand it for a good marriage (if this incredibly accurate describtion was not enough for you, you can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Happiness_(calligraphy))

I have to figure out what to get them. Usually people give money in a red envelope, but it's not that easy! Apparently you have to be careful because the numbers sound like words and you dont want to give an amount that sounds like "death" (so no fours!!). I'll keep you updated on the subject!

2 comments: