Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pose like there is no tomorrow

Dublin is full of statues and sculptures of all kinds of things which makes posing like a real tourist much easier (not to mention more entertaining) than buildings or landscapes. Here are some of my favorite monuments:

Of course the first statue is the one of Éire, the matron goddess of Ireland. Although she seems to be quite an important Gaelic goddess, after very extensive research there is not much information about her on Wikipedia. So far I know that she was daughter of Ernmas and therefore one of the Tuatha Dé Dannan and her sisters were called Banba and Fódla. Yes, most of the Asian people I have met had easier names.
The statue is really beautiful and expressive, which is why it is one of my favorites. In case you are looking for it it is located in the Merrion Square Park. 


I am starting to regret that I am not an Irish citizen, because from what I have seen as good as everyone can get a monument there. The picture above shows Molly Malone a fictional character from the song with the same name. At some point people started claiming that she did exist and there is still a debate going on about whether street-hawkering (totally a word) was her only occupation or wether she had another job during the night as well. Be as it may, the Dublin Millenium Commission found a girl with the same name that died on the 13th of June, which is why this now officially the Molly Malone day and therefore one more reason to celebrate. In case you were wondering where all of this hype about this woman is coming from, apparently the song has become the unofficial anthem of the city over the years and is therefore a big part of their culture. The more you know...


A more chaste figure is St. Patrick the primary patron Saint of this country. As you all read my post containing explanations about the St. Patrick's cathedral I don't need to tell you how much he baptized everyone and all of that...


At the Guinness museum you had many opportunities to satisfy your inner tourist by posing with all kids of interactive exhibits. This guy is from the famous advertising where he is running away from a lion. In this case it's me fleeing from more alcohol...


This statue was in the basement of (I want to say...) Christ Church Cathedral. I am not sure it is famous or meaningful, I just enjoyed the admiring look of the girl to the incredible piece of eye-candy on the right.


Here you can see me hanging out again with my buddy Oscar. This is the statue that has his quotes on some pillars next to it and you can find it on Merrion Square Park, where you can also find... 


...this throne! From what I have read it is there to commemorate Dermot John Morgan, an Irish comedian and actor (EVERYONE gets their own monument here!). I this case I am just showing you what a great queen of the world I would give (just saying...). 

Definitely a lot to see around Dublin!

1 comment:

  1. OMG wenn ich in Dublin wär würde ich den ganzen Tag nur auf dem Thron sitzen!! y no hacen monumento a todos los turistas?? eine Schande! matoh sieht auf den fotos voll gut aus ^^

    ReplyDelete